It’s no surprise people have different metrics by which they measure the success of a passing year. And while the holiday season brings with it a certain atmosphere of both hope and reflection, we at Mobile Future couldn’t help but think back over what an unparalleled success this year has been for the wonderful world of wireless– which is precisely why we put together a year-in-review video that takes a rapid-fire tour of key consumer and technology mobile trends this year.
A few key highlights:
Massive increase in apps downloaded:
- FIVE BILLION apps downloaded – up from 300 million in 2009
- Whopping expansion of location-based services
- FIVE MILLION Foursquare users – up from 200,000 users in 2009
Surge in social media mobile platforms
- 347 PERCENT growth in Twitter mobile usage
- 200 MILLION mobile Facebook Users
- 100 MILLION YouTube videos played on mobile devices everyday
Ongoing explosion in data traffic
- 3,000 PERCENT growth in one carrier’s data traffic since 2008
- 3,339: average number of texts sent per month by US teens.
Unprecedented competition and choice
- 96 PERCENT of mobile users can choose from 3 or more providers
- 92 PERCENT of mobile users are satisfied with their provider
- 4 CENTS: average voice rate per minute in the US
- 77 MILLION: number of smartphones shipped in the fall of 2010.