National Competition Rewards Mobile Innovators
(Washington, DC) – Today, Mobile Future opened the application period for The Mobileys, a national innovation competition that spotlights early-stage wireless apps, services and products that have the potential to make the world a better place. In its second year, The Mobileys competition honors entrepreneurs who inspire and make a difference through mobile innovation.
The first place prize is $10,000, awarded to the most innovative submission that best harnesses the power of mobile technologies to create lasting social benefit. Also awarded will be a second place prize of $5,000, a third place of $2,500 and a People’s Choice Award prize of $2,500.
The 2013 Mobileys submissions came from innovators across the nation– all using mobile to change the world. From the first place winner Page-Out, an app that amplifies the performance and effectiveness of first responders, to the People’s Choice Award INRFOOD, an innovative personalized nutrition platform, the 2013 Mobileys submissions shed light on the diverse public benefits made possible through wireless innovation.
Each entry will be evaluated by an official judging panel, which includes distinguished individuals from the worlds of tech, mobile, venture capital and angel funding. The 2014 Mobileys judging panel includes:
- Kellan Carter, Associate, Ignition Partners
- Kevin Delaney, Editor in Chief, Quartz
- Kathryn Finney, Founder, digitalundivided & White House Champion of Change
- Dale Hatfield, Senior Fellow, Silicon Flatirons Center for Law, Technology & Entrepreneurship
- Dr. Francine Kaufman, Chief Medical Officer, Medtronic Diabetes
- Peter Marx, Chief Innovation Technology Officer, City of Los Angeles
- Dawn McGee, CEO, Good Works Ventures
- Nihal Meta, Founding General Partner, Eniac Ventures
- William Peng, Partner, Red Swan Ventures
- Peter Schube, President and CEO, Jim Henson Company
- Diane Smith, Angel Investor, Frontier Angel Fund & Mobile Future Advisor
- Jonathan Spalter, Chair, Mobile Future
- Roell Vento, CEO, The Silver Fox Studio
- Monique Woodard, Co-Founder, Black Founders
Eligible applicants are individuals or early-stage start-ups that have either recently launched their nominated mobile app, service or product or plan to do so within six months. Applications will be accepted through August 18, 2014 and winners will be announced in Washington, DC in October.
“In its inaugural year, The Mobileys included some of our nation’s brightest innovators and entrepreneurs who are using mobile in groundbreaking ways to benefit our communities, our families and our lives,” said Mobile Future chair Jonathan Spalter. “As mobile data and investment in wireless continue to grow, we look forward to being blown away again this year by the amazing possibilities mobile innovators are embracing and how their visions translate to a brighter mobile future.”