Video Recaps the Year’s Remarkable Milestones in Mobile Innovation and Adoption
(Washington, DC) – Today Mobile Future released its annual Mobile Year in Review video that spotlights some of 2014’s most striking mobile facts and statistics. The animated short recaps the year’s unprecedented investment in mobile networks, the continued growth of consumer demand for wireless connectivity, and the sweeping mobile trends that are changing the way we engage and interact with the world.
Here are some of the key points from this year’s Mobile Year in Review:
- Global mobile data traffic grew by 81% this year.
- 19 million connected wearable devices will have shipped by the end of the year.
- Wireless carriers invested a record $33 billion in wireless infrastructure in 2014.
- The Brazil vs. Germany World Cup game was the most tweeted sports event in history.
- 2014 saw Queen Elizabeth II send her first tweet from a tablet.
- Ellen DeGeneres’ 2014 Oscar selfie crashed Twitter by garnering over one million retweets.
“Each year we are overwhelmed by the staggering ways mobile connectivity is transforming daily life and this year was no different,” said Mobile Future Chair Jonathan Spalter. “2014 proved to be yet another momentous year for our wireless world, thanks in large part to policies that promote consumer-driven growth and innovation. As we look toward the future we must continue to promote the significant investment and innovation that define our mobile success story.”